Eight Discipline Problem Solving (8D) is a method pioneered by the Ford Motor Company to identify, correct and eliminate recurring problems. Particularly useful in product and process improvement, 8D focuses on identifying the root cause of a problem and establishing a permanent corrective action. In this course, participants will learn the basics of the 8D Problem Solving technique through a combination of lecture and team exercises.
Who Should Take It
- Quality Managers
- Quality Team Leaders
- Individuals / team members wanting a better understanding of the 8D problem solving process and tools.
- The Problem Solving Process
- An Outline of the 8 Discipline (8D) Process
- Step D0 – Initiating the Process
- Tools Used During the Initiation Phase
- Step D1 – Establishing the Team
- The Value of Teamwork
- The Team Process
- Step D2 – Describing the Problem
- Creating Problem Statements
- Creating a Flowchart
- Creating a Timeline
- Conducting an Is / Is Not Analysis
- Conducing Effective Interviews
- Defining a Real-Life Problem
- Step D3 – Interim Containment Action
- Step D4 – Root Cause Analysis
- An Overview of the Process
- Introduction to Cause and Effect Diagrams
- Developing 5 Why Trees
- Steps D5 and D6 – Selecting, Implementing and Validating Corrective Action
- General Overview
- Decision Criteria
- Team Decision Processes
- Planning Implementation and Validation
- Step D7 – Preventative Action
- Understanding Systemic Issues
- Application of Solutions
- Step D8 – Congratulating the Team and Capturing Lessons Learned
Public Course Dates
On-site group training is delivered at your place of business and can be customized to meet your specific requirements. Contact The Business Resource Centre to schedule your next on-site group training event.
Please call 1-888-535-1401 or fill out the form below to request a quote.
Public training is available for this course. Locations and dates can be found using the form below. Please fill out and submit the form to register for this course.
Online training is available for this course. Please fill out and submit the form to register for this course.